Friday 18 June 2021

Sally

Rollin down an old dirt road

Dust hanging onto the back of the truck

Radio beating out an old country song

An angel singing beside me, bringing me luck

Slappin her hands in time on the dash of my car

Singin on pitch,  knows every word

Seems to me, there’s not a song Sally hasn’t heard

 

Give her an old church hall or a public bar

She's got a head full of dreams and songs to play

Doing her dues and making it pay

Someday soon she’ll be on her way

A crowded bar, or empty barn

All she needs is a place for her to sing

So, turn up that amp, girl -- and make it ring

 

Six new strings on an old guitar

Scuffed Williams boots and tight blue jeans

Tapping feet and swaying hips

Eyes of fire, hold a wild girl’s dreams

Killer smile on forbidden lips

Stuff another greenback in her old tip-jar

Help like yours will take her far

 

I remember Sally slappin her hands

On the dash of my car

A head full of dreams and songs to play

Thinking someday soon she’ll be on her way

Doing her dues and making it pay


No longer playing old church halls or a public bars

It’s Opera house and Stadiums

No longer dreamin of fortune and fame

My little girl’s a superstar

Now this old world knows her name

No comments:

Post a Comment