Friday 25 June 2021

Orroroo Sunset

I reworked a poem I wrote on Tim Frolling's Facebook page after he posted a photo of a sunset, please leave a comment as
I would be very interested to know what you think.

You posted the picture of a sunset
And it took me straight back home
Clouds red and hanging lazy over Morchard’s rolling Hills
To a place where time was always friendly
And innocence made us free
When life had more questions
To who or what we wanted to be
When we didn’t care about our answers
For in that blood red sunset
We had faith its mystery would unfold
Running close to new days of our future
Were not of big concern to me
Then depending on the season
For less than just one hour
Our backs on warm and fresh cut lawn
Gazing skyward in the purple of the twilight
We would wait for twinkling stars
Sneaking skyward over Black Rock Peak
Fat and golden our full moon would spread its glow
Laying still scanning that wide familiar cosmos
For the joy that jolted through you
When you witnessed Sputnik make its rounds
Back when yellow of the street lights struggled
To feebly penetrate the dark
Our eyes adjusted, and ears sharpened to the silence
As the Milky way lit up our night
In all those wonderous minutes of our innocence
We couldn’t feel it slowly slipping by
Times hands have washed the muscles from my frame
Even though the wrinkles on my face
Declare the time I’ve won
Inside I feel just as I did in nineteen sixty-one

So, Tim, thank you for the photo
And taking me back home
For showing me the shadows of those wonderous hills
Where as a boy with bicycle and rabbit traps
Around them I would roam
With cousins Doug and Geoff and John,
Our mates Placey, Paul and, Spider too
Oh, as lads we had a time, I tell you
A time when freedom knew us well
As in that short bright flash of youth
We lived as kings, in good old Orroroo


Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment