Thursday 17 June 2021

A Conception Conspiracy

 Way back in September 1948

Time was pressing it couldn’t wait

And our mothers, the sisters three

Hatched a plan, or so it seems to me

Something my cousins and me

Called the conception conspiracy

 

If such a plan had been discussed

The birthday dates preferred were June

And with many factors to consider,

Husbands to coerce would be a cinch

A kiss, a cuddle, a loving pinch

A little human to create

 

Doubled over and throwing up

Each sister thought with banging head

She should have bought a pup instead

Encouraged by Grandma saying something great

Like, “It’s your first, I had ten.”

No sympathy from our Nan, she’d say,

“Now, out of bed and start again.”

 

And as June 1949 came around

Through the moaning and contraction slug

Auntie Aileen gave birth to Doug

I was next with Edna pushing hard

My father banished to the yard.

Last was Beth bringing cousin Geoff to life

 

But there we were cousins three

Doug and Geoff and little me

June’s babies born eighteen days apart

A bond soon formed and as we grew

Through our scrapes our fights and fun

Some battles lost some battles won

 

Now sitting here soon seventy-two

I think about our shared history

Our mothers, fathers and siblings too

Of Nannie Symes, those sisters three

and I am convinced, there had to be

A planned conception conspiracy

No comments:

Post a Comment